Maryland Salary History Ban Now Extended to Job Applicants
Beginning Oct. 1, amendments to Maryland’s Equal Pay for Equal Work law offer additional protections to applicants for employment.
- Employers are prohibited from directly requesting or indirectly seeking a candidate’s wage history.
- Employers cannot use an applicant’s wage history to screen the candidate or formulate an offer of compensation.
- Employers must provide an applicant with the wage range for an open job upon request.
- After an offer is made, employers may use wage history information that has been voluntarily provided by a candidate to support a higher offer.
- Retaliation against employees for asking about their own wages is also prohibited.
In addition to training hiring managers and other personnel on this new law, employers should establish formal job descriptions with wage ranges for each position.